What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a type of Malware transmitted via emails, broadcasts or online links through compromised websites and social networking sites.
The last Ransomware attack took place a week ago and the impact was felt in over 150 countries.
Sighsss..Now that is a lot, don’t you think?
How do i get attacked?
Cybercriminals design software that infiltrates your computer on the inside, lock up or encrypt your important documents and data, and then they proceed to threaten you that the data will be destroyed or made inaccessible if you do not pay a ransom after a period set by them.
How do i protect my important files and computers from Ransomware?
- Always, always, always make sure your software is updated; yes even your Smartphones too.
- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT Click on suspicious links mostly offering irresistible freebies and Pop-Ups.
- Always check the sender details of incoming emails to see if it is a legitimate address, and in cases where a friend’s email has been hacked and is being used to mail you, be extra vigilant. Call them or tweet at your friend if you are not sure they sent the right mail.
- Be extra vigilant when opening attachments that you are not expecting and those that seem illegitimate. Confirm from sender by phone or tweet if you are not sure.
- Obvious typos, misspellings, and grammatical errors, especially from emails allegedly coming from your bank or internet service providers, should be treated with suspicion.
- Stay away from pop-ups on web pages, even if they advertise products that state to remove or protect your device from malware. Do not click those links.
P.S – Featured image courtesy AVG